People always say to me "You are so motivated" or "I wish I had you're motivation". To that I say "Ha!" I'm just like any other woman. I do not have a super-power type will that gets me working out every day. Just like everyone else, I would be happy to curl up with a blanket and watch a movie, read a book, or just take a nap...and sometimes I do. Most days I NEED motivation. I NEED some sort of push to get me out the door. The motivation is never the same for too long and it constantly changes. Here are some ways I have stayed motivated:
1) Signed up for a race and told people that I was going to run it. Yep, that's it. A) All of those people will hold me accountable and B) I paid for it. I'm pretty frugal, so there is no way I would pay for a race and not do it unless I could not get out of bed. I huffed and puffed and vomited and limped my way through my first half marathon with a fever and bronchitis just because I paid for it. I would not recommend that. Stupid idea....I wonder why my husband always tells me I'm stubborn....sigh...who knows...
2) Make plans to work out with a friend. It's much harder to let a friend down than to let yourself down.
3) I constantly create fresh, new workout playlist on my iPod and will only allow myself to listen to it while working out. So, if I want to hear those awesome songs, I better get my butt out there.
4) New gear. I don't care what it is : a new headband, a new hat, socks, shoes, sports bra, running shorts...whatever. If I have new gear, I will get out there and use it. *see 1B
5) My husbands deployment was a HUGE motivator for me. While he was gone, I was super motivated to work out. It got me out of the house instead of thinking about how much I missed him, it gave me a goal to see how much I could change my body in 18 months, and, I'm not gonna lie, I wanted him to come home to a smokin' hot wife :)
6) Find something you love. Is it dancing, yoga, cycling, roller skating? Find something you love to do and just do it.
7) When I start to get lazy, I will hang a picture of myself in a bikini on my mirror. That just scares me into working out.
8) Create a log book for your workout. I always keep a notebook of my workouts and it really helps to keep me on track.
9) Just think of how great you feel when you are done.
10) Think of that new outfit you want to wear. Tape it to your wall or even buy the outfit and hang it where you see it every day. Wanting to look good in it always gets me out the door.
11) Right now I am motivating myself with a money jar. It's right on my fire place mantle where it stares at me everyday and taunts me with "If you workout today, you earn another dollar". It sounds silly, but I pay myself a dollar every time I work out. When the jar is packed and full, I will buy myself something that I really want. I don't have anything I really want right now, but just watching that jar fill up is enough motivation for me.
So, there you have it...just some of the ways I stay motivated. I would love for you to comment and share how you motivate yourself. Thanks for stopping by. I love getting your comments and emails!