Monday, January 30, 2012

I Have No Time! ~Creative Workouts to Kick Those Excuses in the Butt~

I get it! I'm a mom with 3 kids.  I run a business. My husband travels. My kids are in activities. Like the rest of you, when my life gets busy it is so easy to make excuses and put yourself last. I really get it.

Last year, my husband was on an 18 month deployment. Running the house by myself, working, and running the kids around made it hard to find time to work out. There were times when sick kids, tired, grumpy kids, or just plain old busy days made it impossible for me to get to the gym.   I really only recently got a gym membership, so I spent years coming up with some creative ways to work out.


Pin It


1) If I didn't have a big chunk of time to work out in the day, I would just fit in short bursts work workouts where I could: crunches and push-ups while I waited for the kids to brush their teeth, tricep dips on the stairs, running up and down the stairs a bunch of times, doing bicep curls with gallons of milk or full laundry detergent bottles, walking lunges with full laundry baskets before putting the laundry away. Yes, I look like a big dork, but by the end of the day I have done several forms of exercise.

2) Play Just Dance on the Wii with the kids.  I don't care how good of shape you *think* you are in, that game will make you sweat AND get your heart rate up. It gets me every single time!

3) A friend and I have taken our kids (6 between us) down to the playground so we could work out. While the kids played, we ran sprints, did pull -ups on the monkey bars,  squats, push-ups and whatever else we could think of.

4) I have found that going to the local high school track on weekends or school holidays is a great way to get a workout in.  I load up the minivan with frisbees, balls, bubbles, and such and head to the track with the kids. They play in the center grass area where I can always see them while I run.  My workout at the track looks something like this: run 400m, go to the middle and do 50 push ups, run 400 m, 50 burpees, run 400m, 50 crunches, etc.....While I do my workout in the middle, the kids often join me and try to do the same. It's a great way to spend time with them and get my workout in.

5) Set up a self imposed bootcamp in my backyard.

6) If you have access to a pool (YMCA, Community pool) then pool workouts are a great way to stay cool in the summer, play with your kids, and workout with little impact on your joints.
         My pool workout:
        a) Carry 1, 2, or 3 kids and walk/jog back and forth across the pool.  I usually have one on my front and 2 holding on behind me so I have to drag them. They think this is so fun.
        b) Hold onto the edge of the pool and let your legs float out behind you so you look like Superman in flight.  Have a contest with your kids to see who can create the most splash just by kicking.
        c) Flip over onto your back, hold onto the side and bicycle your legs.  This is a great ab workout.

        d) Find a corner of the pool.  Push yourself up by placing your hands on the edge of the pool. Continue to push yourself up and lower yourself keeping your elbows close to your body. This is great for the triceps.

7) When the kids are playing in the drive way I do sprints up and down our sidewalk by 'racing' them on their bikes or scooters.  Of course, they always win, but they think it's so much fun.

These are just a few of the things I do during the times I do not have a gym membership or on the days I just can't make it out without kids.  I would love to hear some of the ways you workout when you can't get out of the house and I will post more ideas as I remember them.  I will leave out the one where I wake up at 4:45 am to squeeze a workout in....that's the one I hate the most  and do the least  ;)

Have a great day and remember : You have GOT this!

We have a new FB group for this page so you can get blog updates and ask questions:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blood-Sweat-and-Minivans/240639366014884?sk=wall

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas Steph! Have you ever checked out http://www.bodyrock.tv/ ?
    It's very similar to what we do at boot camp. Short, intense workouts. See ya Wednesday! Then I'm taking a break to let my legs heal :-/

    ReplyDelete